Whether you have steel cut oats, rolled oatmeal, or overnight oats this comprehensive guide to what to serve with oatmeal will walk you through 25 amazing side dishes for oatmeal! Plus, some delicious topping ideas too!
looking for a quick answer?
These are my favorite sides to serve with oatmeal and toppings for oatmeal.
- Fresh fruit
- Eggs: Cottage Cheese Egg Bake, scrambled eggs, or egg whites
- Bacon or sausage
- Mushroom Quiche with Ham
- Potatoes: roasted sweet potatoes or Crispy Parboiled Potatoes
- Pure maple syrup or honey
- Greek Yogurt (adds creaminess and protein!) and strawberries
- Fresh bananas and hazelnuts (like in Fancy Oatmeal with Caramelized Bananas)
- Chia Seeds and brown sugar
- Peanut butter and chocolate chips
Now for more details about all these good ideas!
- looking for a quick answer?
- do these ideas work with any type of oatmeal?
- 25 ideas for what to serve with oatmeal
- 1. Cottage Cheese Egg Bake
- 2. Mushroom Quiche with Ham
- 3. Protein Cinnamon Rolls
- 4. Purple Smoothie Bowl
- 5. Breakfast Baked Potatoes
- 6. Banana Muffin For One
- 7. Protein Biscuits
- 8. Crispy Parboiled Roasted Potatoes
- 9. Dunkin Wake Up Wrap
- 10. Chicken Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
- 11. Southwest Egg Bake
- 12. Banana Bread without Butter
- 13. Egg Bites Recipe
- 14. Yogurt Granola Cups
- 15. Almond Milk Yogurt
- 16. Vegan Egg Bites
- 17. Chili Oil Eggs (scrambled)
- 18. Air Fryer Sausage Patties
- 19. Chocolate Chip Sourdough Bagels
- 20. Winter Citrus Salad
- 21. Candied Homemade Bacon
- 22. Avocado Toast
- 23. Tex Mex Tofu Scramble
- 24. Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 25. Cream Cheese Strawberry Danish
- 8 Topping Ideas For Oatmeal
- Looking for a great oatmeal recipe?
do these ideas work with any type of oatmeal?
Yes, these side dishes and topping ideas will work great with any kind of oatmeal. This is regardless of the type of oats or how you cook them.
Some examples are of types of oatmeal you might encounter are quick oats, instant oats, steel-cut oats, oat groats, old-fashioned oats, or rolled oats. And your cooking method also doesn't matter, whether you have cookie baked oatmeal, oatmeal made in a slow cooker (or Instant Pot), Trader Joe's overnight oats, or instant oatmeal made in the microwave. All of these oatmeals taste delicious with the side dishes and toppings listed below.
25 ideas for what to serve with oatmeal
If you're looking for a side dish to eat with your oatmeal, look no further! We've got protein options, fresh options, ideas for a crowd, and single serving options!
Its high-protein content complements the fiber in oatmeal, creating a balanced, nourishing breakfast.
The savory flavors of the quiche offer a delightful contrast to the mild taste of oatmeal.
Adds a sweet, protein-packed twist to your oatmeal for a more indulgent, yet still nutritious breakfast.
The fruit and antioxidants in the smoothie bowl pair well with the hearty texture of oatmeal.
Combines the comforting, starchy goodness of potatoes with the wholesome, fibrous oatmeal for a fulfilling meal.
Brings a sweet, personal-sized treat that complements the simplicity of oatmeal.
Enhance the protein content of your breakfast when served alongside fiber-rich oatmeal.
Adds a satisfying crunch and richness, balancing the soft texture of oatmeal.
Offers a convenient, on-the-go option that pairs well with the steadiness of a bowl of oatmeal.
Combines hearty protein with oatmeal for a balanced and filling breakfast.
Its bold flavors bring a spicy kick to a traditional oatmeal breakfast.
Provides a healthier, sweet complement to the earthy flavors of oatmeal.
13. Egg Bites Recipe
Protein-rich and versatile, these bites add a nutritious boost to your oatmeal bowl.
Offer a crunchy, creamy addition to the soft, warm texture of oatmeal.
Provides a dairy-free, creamy accompaniment to oatmeal, ideal for a light and healthy breakfast.
16. Vegan Egg Bites
Add a plant-based protein source to complement the fiber in oatmeal.
Gives a spicy twist to the oatmeal, creating a savory and exciting breakfast duo.
Their crisp texture and rich flavor pair well with the soft, comforting oatmeal.
Introduce a sweet and tangy element that contrasts nicely with plain oatmeal.
Adds a fresh, tangy flavor to balance the creamy, mild taste of oatmeal.
This delicious breakfast food offers a sweet and savory contrast to the wholesome, fibrous oatmeal.
22. Avocado Toast
Combines healthy fats and fibers for a well-rounded breakfast alongside oatmeal.
Brings a flavorful, protein-rich vegan option to pair with the simple taste of oatmeal.
Its sweet and savory notes complement the neutral flavor of oatmeal.
Adds a luxurious, fruity, and creamy dimension to a bowl of oatmeal.
If you're looking for an easy drink to quench your thirst after a delicious bowl of oatmeal, here are a few of my favorite drinks!
- Honey Bee Latte
- Cayenne Ginger Lemon Shot
- Green Protein Shake
- Chaga Latte
- Bahama Mama Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Avocado Smoothie
- Iced Avocado Coffee
I wanted to be clear that all the side dishes and drinks listed above taste great with recipes with oats and not just oatmeal. This could be Birthday Cake Heavenly Hunks, Protein Balls without Protein Powder, or something else!
8 Topping Ideas For Oatmeal
Now for what to put on top of your oatmeal! Some of my favorite toppings can also be eaten on the side, but are delicious as a topping or mixed into oatmeal.
2. Pure maple syrup or honey
3. Greek Yogurt (adds creaminess and protein!) and strawberries
4. Fresh banana and hazelnuts (my personal favorite!)
5. Chia Seeds and brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
Coconut flakes and pineapple
6. Peanut butter and chocolate chips
8. Coffee creamers, like this extra creamy oat milk coffee creamer (don't know it till you try it!) or a drizzle of full-fat coconut milk