This Southwest Egg Bake is spicy, creamy, and the perfect weekday breakfast meal prep or Sunday morning breakfast. It is ready in less than an hour, packed with protein, and filled with flavor! It only takes one bowl and can be kept in the fridge for one week, perfect for meal prep! It’s gluten-free and made with only natural sugar!
Southwest Egg Bake Ingredients
Quick Look at Making Southwest Egg Bake:
- Prep the veggies and preheat the oven! Dice, chop, and prep vegetables (including chipotles) and set oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté onions and garlic! In a pan with a little ghee or oil. Make the house smell good!
- Brown sausage in the pan with the onions and garlic. While this is cooking, whisk the eggs, milk, and seasonings in a bowl.
- Add both peppers to the pan with the sausage mixture. Yup, add both bell peppers and Fresno chilis. Cook until softened, usually 1-2 minutes. Add in Chipotle after.
- Combine egg mixture, sausage mixture, and half the cheese into a 9x9 baking dish. Mix them up!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with remaining cheese after 25 minutes. Turn to broil for 2-3 minutes to get that crispy top. Let it cool and enjoy!
Southwest Egg Bake Quick Facts
How do I reheat this?
Heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes or in toaster oven at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
Can I pack this for lunch?
Yup! Just keep it semi-cold since this has meat and dairy in it.
Where do I find cumin and chipotles?
Spicy Sausage: Plain or breakfast chicken, turkey, or pork sausage can be used. If using breakfast sausage, reduce the salt added. If using plain sausage, add additional chipotle peppers.
Fresno Chilis: Jalapenos, habaneros, or any other spicy peppers can be used. If you cannot get fresh peppers, cayenne and chili powder can also be used. These can also be left out to lower the spice level.
Milk: Our favorite is Fairlife, but oat milk or flax milk can be used as a dairy-free option.
Pepper Jack: Shredded cheddar cheese can be used in place of pepper jack. This recipe calls for a small amount of cheese, but up to 1 cup can be added if you are ok with cheese or just prefer more. Dairy-free cheese can also be used.
Butter: We love Land O Lakes and Kerrygold butter, but ghee or coconut oil could be used too.
Cumin: Chili powder has cumin in it, along with a couple of other ingredients. Taste as you go when using this to not have too much of the other seasonings. Coriander is also from the same plant and can be used as a sub as well. Cumin can also be bought here.
Chipotle Peppers: Cayenne, red pepper flakes, or additional fresno chilis can be used in place. Chipotle sauce, like this one, can also be used in place. If using chipotle peppers, we love these ones.
Fresno Chilis were developed in 1952. They were named after the town of Fresno, CA (the big city I grew up shopping in!). They are considered to have a mid-range spice level. The heat in peppers comes from the chemical compound called capsaicin. It has been known to reduce inflammation and promote a feeling of being full! (Source)
Note: Joy to the Food gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Try these other delicious recipes!
- 2 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 lbs hot sausage* *see notes below
- 8 eggs
- 1-½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 fresno chili diced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin* *see notes below
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce* *see notes below
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop and wash vegetables to prep, including chipotle peppers if using whole chipotle. Heat pan on medium high heat to melt ghee or butter. Add diced onions and garlic and sauté until soft, usually 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until sausage is browned, approximately 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk, and seasoning in a bowl, except chipotle peppers.
- Add bell pepper and fresno chili to sausage mixture and cook for another 1-2 minutes, then mix in chipotle peppers
- Pour sausage mixture into 9x9 baking pan
- Add egg mixture and half of the cheese to baking pan, mix or stir to combine egg mixture and sausage mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 min
- At 25 minutes, remove bake from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Turn oven to High Broil and return bake to oven for 2-3 min to melt cheese and crisp the top.
- Let cool and enjoy!