This delicious strawberry matcha latte recipe is the perfect way to cozy up and dream of warmer days, or enjoy an iced strawberry matcha latte on a hot summer day! Made with only 4 ingredients and dairy free, it’s my favorite afternoon pick-me-up.
How to Make This - Step by Step
- Heat! Split the jam between two microwave-safe mugs. Heat them for 45 seconds in the microwave or until soft enough to flow. Heat water in another jar for 1 minute in the microwave or in a kettle. I recommend using a taller jar or mug for the water because you will mix the matcha in it later. In one final jar, heat the milk for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Mix! Combine matcha powder with hot water. You can use a matcha whisk, an electric frother, a hand milk frother, a regular whisk, or a fork. Mix for about 30 seconds until all the matcha has been dissolved.
- Layer. Now comes the fun part! Very slowly pour the matcha layer mixture over the strawberry layer. If the strawberry layer starts to float up and you want clean layers for aesthetics, just continue pouring slower and the jam layer will sink back down. Finally, add the milk layer. Give it a gentle stir to combine with the strawberry layer and enjoy!
Watch How to Make This
Quick Facts and Common Questions
Does this latte have caffeine?
Yes, this matcha latte has caffeine, it has about half of a typical cup of coffee and about the same as a single shot of espresso.
Do I need a matcha bowl and bamboo whisk to make matcha?
A matcha bowl and whisk are ideal for making matcha, but no you do not need them. The wide matcha bowl and whisk aerate the matcha, but quickly whipping with a fork or frother will do the trick too!
How do I get pretty layers in a matcha latte?
Pour slowly to get pretty, clean layers! You can also hold a spoon upside down close to each layer inside the mug. Slowly pour the top layer over the spoon onto the lower layer. This spreads out the liquid to produce the perfect layered effect.
Is Matcha good for you and how do I pick the best matcha?
Matcha is considered good for you in general and a little better for you than coffee. It has many benefits such as easing nausea and aiding in digestion. It has a low caffeine content and low acid, making it easier on the stomach. The caffeine in matcha binds with other nutrients in a way that slows down the body's absorption and release of the caffeine. This means your body is much less likely to crash than it might a cup of coffee or espresso.
As far as matcha powder goes, it is often sold with additives such as flavors and sugar. This can be good if you want to just add it straight to water or milk, but it has much less health benefits since the matcha has been further processed. I would recommend searching for a ceremonial grade matcha.
Does the type of coconut milk I use in a latte matter?
Yes! This creamy drink utilizes coconut milk that is found in a carton. We recommend using one of these brands: Pacific Foods Coconut Milk, Silk Coconut Milk, Rice Dream Coconut Milk, or Califia Farms Coconut Milk.
What does this drink taste like? Does Strawberry even go with matcha?
Yes! The sweet strawberry flavor is the perfect compliment to the earthy bitter flavor of matcha powder. This refreshing drink tastes like spring under the cherry trees. It is sweet, yet bold, and creamy with a bite. Plus, it’s better than any tea shop or Starbucks strawberry matcha latte!
*All substitution options are a 1:1 replacement unless noted otherwise
Strawberry Jam: Fresh strawberries that are muddled, or fresh strawberry puree can be used in place of jam with the addition of 2 tablespoons of sweetener. Try a recipe like this one to make your own sweetened strawberry sauce!
Coconut Milk: Milk Substitutes include any non-dairy and unsweetened plant milk. Oat milk is our preferred substitute due to its ability to froth and how creamy it is. Try Sown for a creamy latte! If using a sweetened creamer, omit adding the maple syrup to this drink. Soy milk, flax milk, skim milk, whole milk (if not vegan), and unsweetened almond milk are some other options. Coconut and matcha is just a match made in heaven, so I highly recommend coconut milk.
Matcha: Any pure matcha powder can be used. If ceremonial grade, it will have a more intense flavor so start with adding ½ of a teaspoon of matcha at a time until the desired strength is reached.
Water: Sorry, this is a key ingredient so no substitute for this one.
Matcha gets its caffeine content through a process called shading. 20 days before harvest, the leaves are covered or shaded. The shade causes the leaves to concentrate the chlorophyll content, giving them a dark green color, boosting nutrients, and producing caffeine.
Matcha contains 10-15% more life-sustaining amino acids and other nutrients that your body needs. One cup of regular green tea contains 3 mg amino acids compared to 44.7 mg in Matcha. The unique caffeine in Matcha is called theophylline. Theophylline provides a more sustained release of energy, helping you to avoid that caffeine crash 2 hours after a cup of coffee. And because of that shade, it has higher levels of this caffeine than other green teas. (Source)
Try these other delicious recipes!
- 3 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 3 oz water
- 1 teaspoon matcha
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Split the jam between two microwave safe mugs. Heat them for 30 seconds in the microwave or until soft enough to flow. Flatten the jam to the bottom of each mug so it is in an even layer.
- Heat water in another jar for 1 minute in the microwave or in a kettle. I recommend using a taller jar or mug for the water. You will mix the matcha in it later.
- In one final jar or mug, heat the milk for 1 minute.
- Combine matcha powder with the hot water. You can use a matcha whisk, an electric frother, a hand milk frother, a regular whisk, or a fork. Mix for about 30 seconds until all the matcha has been dissolved.
- Now comes the fun part! Very slowly pour the matcha mixture over the strawberry layer. The strawberry layer may start to float up, just continue pouring slower and the jam layer will sink back down. Finally, add the milk layer. Give it a gentle stir to mix in the strawberry layer and enjoy!