This gluten free apple crisp recipe is made with simple ingredients (no oats!) and comes together in under an hour, perfect to prep ahead! Tart green apples, warm cinnamon, and punchy ginger, it’s the perfect comforting and crowd pleasing dessert! Plus, it’s vegan, gluten free, and made with natural sugar.
Gluten Free Apple Crisp Ingredients:
All substitution options are a 1:1 substitution unless noted otherwise.
- Granny Smith Apples: Any type of apple can be used, but granny smith are tart apples, which are what we consider the best apples to use. We prefer the tart apple varieties because when apples are baked, they release natural sugars and become sweeter.
- Coconut Sugar: Cane sugar, agave, brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup can be substituted.
- Lemon Juice: Orange juice can be used or extra water.
- Corn starch: Arrowroot powder could be used in place of cornstarch
- Cinnamon and Nutmeg: Allspice, pumpkin pie spice, or apple pie spice can be used. You could also use Chai Tea powder (may not be vegan).
- Ginger: Minced, fresh, or powdered ginger can be used.
- Gluten-Free Flour Blend: Any of your favorite all-purpose flour can be used, including regular gluten flour. Just ensure that gluten-free flour is a 1:1 replacement blend.
- Pecans: Walnuts or almonds can be used. Ground almonds or almond meal can also be used.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla Paste can be used for this.
- Coconut Oil: Vegan butter, ghee, or regular butter can be used.
How to make Gluten-Free Apple Crisp:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees!
- Peel and dice apples (sliced apples will work too) and rough chop the pecans if needed.
- Mix filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside or in the fridge until ready to use.
- In another bowl, mix together the topping ingredients to make the streusel topping. Use a fork, pastry blender, or your hands to cut the butter and form a crumble.
- Transfer the apple mixture into a 8x8 or 9x9 prepared baking dish. Add the crumble topping to this and spread out evenly
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and the apples are bubbling
- Let cool and enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Letting this cool is obviously not necessary, but it helps to let the filling thicken more.
Do you cover apple crisp when baking?
It is recommended to cover the top of the apple crisp in foil for the first ⅔rds of the baking time to keep it from burning.
How do you know when apple crisp is cooked?
You can tell apple crisp is cooked when the apples are tender when poked with a fork or tooth pick and the top is golden brown, typically 30-40 minutes. Everything being used is already cooked or can be eaten raw, so it is not critical to cook completely, only critical to cook the apples to desired tenderness.
Which apples are best for apple crisp?
Granny Smith apples are the best for apple crisp because of their tart nature. Tart apples cut the sweetness of the topping. Any other tart or tangy apple can also be used.
Try these other delicious recipes!
Note: Joy to the Food gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
- 1-¼ cup 1:1 gluten free flour
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 5 Granny Smith Apples peeled and diced
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅛ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel and dice apples and rough chop the pecans if needed.
- Mix apple filling ingredients in a large bowl and set aside or in the fridge until ready to use.
- In another bowl, mix together the crisp topping ingredients. Use a fork or your hands to cut the butter and form a crumble.
- Pour the apple filling into a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Add the topping to this and spread out evenly
- Transfer to oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and the apples are bubbling
- Let cool and enjoy with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream! Letting this cool is obviously not necessary, but it helps to let the filling thicken more.