These Protein Packed Cinnamon Toast Crunch S’mores Bars are a take on classic s’mores and are made with just a few simple ingredients. They are a high protein snack, ready in 10 minutes, and the perfect treat for now or later! Bonus – these can even be made dairy free and with your favorite cereal!
Protein Packed Cinnamon Toast Crunch S’mores Bars Ingredients:
How to make Protein Packed Cinnamon Toast Crunch S’mores Bars:
- Melt! Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add Marshmallows. Add marshmallows to melted butter and continue to heat on low until almost melted and you are left with just gooey marshmallows. We like to use a silicone spatula for this to keep the marshmallow from sticking.
- Mix in protein! When marshmallows are almost completely liquid, add the protein powder to the marshmallow mixture and continue to stir over low heat until dissolved, usually a couple of minutes.
- Add Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal! Remove pot from heat and gently stir in cereal, or transfer to a large bowl to mix. The more careful you stir, the more tender the cereal bars will be. Pour mixture into a 8″x8″ airtight container (we like 8×8 for thicker bars, but larger containers are fine too, just have one that can be covered tightly). A good way to keep cereal mixture from sticking is to use a buttered spatula or wetted spatula to gently press mixture into the prepared pan or container. The container can be any size that is approximately 8″x8″ or even a bread pan size. It can be helpful to grease the pan with a little bit of butter or spray bottom of pan with a nonstick spray such as palm oil or canola oil. You can also line with parchment paper.
- Let cool, then add your favorite toppings. We like melted chocolate and marshmallows on top!
How long does this dish take? 10 minutes to make, 30 minutes to set.
How much does this make? 16 servings (small bites). Using a whole box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch will result in about 2.5 times this serving.
Does this meet my dietary needs? This recipe is completely customizable. It can be made gluten free, dairy free, or vegan with the use of vegan marshmallows, gluten free cereal, and/or plant based vanilla protein. These are also high in protein.
How many bowls should I plan for this meal? 1 large non-stick pot and 1 resealable container like this one.
How long does this keep? 2-3 days covered or 1 week wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Think about how the classic marshmallow treat is wrapped tightly and individually to keep from becoming stale.
Is it freezer friendly? No, but they are no-bake bars! (I know, not all that relevant, but still cool, I thought).
Is this meal prep friendly? Yup, we have currently been eating these every day and have been taking them for after lunch sweet treats! To make these even more fun – use a cookie cutter to cut out this colorful treat into fun shapes and sizes. The perfect school snack!
Does any protein work? While technically yes, any vanilla protein will work, we highly recommend I Heart Macros for any protein bars, in baked goods or cooked recipes. This protein does not have a traditional chalky, artificial flavors taste and is much easier on the stomach for those who have a hard time digesting protein.
How do I make this vegan? Great question! This recipe can be made vegan with the use of vegan butter (like Earth Balance) and vegan marshmallows (like Dandies).
Does a certain marshmallow work best? For this recipe – we love North Mallow! Their marshmallows melt awesome, are stiff enough when set to stand up to the cereal, and are made with limited ingredients.
All substitution options are a 1:1 substitution unless noted otherwise.
Cinnamon Toast Crunch: Any of your favorite cereals will work in order to get slightly different flavors. A cereal similar to graham crackers is preferred. Golden Grahams cereal would be delicious! We like whole grain cereal choices as well. It’s always good to test your ingredients to make sure you’re not using stale cereal to start.
Marshmallows: Any plain or vanilla marshmallows will work, see notes above about preferred brands. Mini marshmallows will also work. Marshmallow fluff will not work since it does not become solid at room temperature.
Butter: Coconut oil may work but this has not been tested. Salted or Unsalted butter can be used or vegan butter.
Vanilla Protein Powder: Any vanilla protein powder can be used or this can be omitted. Some options include a whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, and soy protein isolate.
Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite chocolate chips, some of our favorite are Lily’s. You can also use a white chocolate, a chocolate bar, chocolate chunks, or cocoa powder mixed with coconut oil. Chocolate peanut butter works well too.
S’mores were recorded for the first time in a Girl Scouts publication from 1927. The world’s largest s’more weighed in at 267 pounds, of which 140 pounds were marshmallows! Speaking of marshmallows, Americans buy 90 million pounds of the little white puffs each year. It’s estimated that half of all marshmallows bought in the summer are toasted over a fire. (Source)
Want to hear a joke?
Q: What do the Hershey’s bar, marshmallow, and graham cracker use to communicate?
A: “S’mores code!”
Try these other delicious recipes!
Protein Packed Cinnamon Toast Crunch Smores Bars
- 4 cups cinnamon toast crunch
- 3 tbsp butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 2 cups chocolate chips melted
- Melt butter over low to medium heat in large non stick pot
- Add marshmallows to melted butter and stir continuously over low heat until marshmallows are almost melted. Using a silicon spatula for this will help keep the marshmallow from sticking to everything.
- Add protein powder and stir until dissolved and marshmallows are completely melted
- Remove from heat and add cereal
- Stir gently (the more gentle you stir, the more tender the bars will be) until cereal is completely coated
- Transfer mixture to a resealable 8x8 container and gently press into pan. When pressing into pan, get silicon spatula wet and then press. This helps to keep the mixture from sticking to the spatula
- Let set for 20 minutes to set up, then add your favorite toppings. We like to add melted chocolate and more marshmallows.