This Roasted Pineapple and Habanero Sauce is a must for any meal! Sweet and spicy, tangy and delicious, ready in minutes, this spicy sauce is sure to be a great addition to dinner time. It’s gluten-free, vegan, and has no added sugar!
If you're looking for a bold and spicy sauce to amp up the flavor of your food then this roasted pineapple habanero sauce recipe is for you! It's made with just seven simple ingredients and comes together easily in a blender. We put this pineapple hot sauce on everything!
If you're looking for more sauces and dips then check out these recipes:
Ingredients and Substitutions:
All substitution options are a 1:1 substitution unless noted otherwise.
- Pineapple: Strained, canned pineapple can be used (in pineapple juice and without added sugar).
- Lime Juice: Lemon juice concentrate, orange juice, or an additional ½ teaspoon lemon zest will work.
- Lemon Zest: Lime zest or orange zest can be used, or 1 additional tablespoon of lime juice.
- Garlic: Minced or raw garlic can be used. 1 teaspoon of garlic powder can replace 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
- Habanero: Sometimes habaneros can be hard to find at the grocery store, so any spicy pepper, deseeded, can be used. 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes can also be used. Check out our post about pepper substitutes for more ideas!
- Onion: We use white onion for this recipe for a mild, slightly sweet flavor.
How to make this - step by step
Step one: Prep and grill. Slice the fresh pineapple and sweet onion and cook on the grill on high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Remove the seeds from the spicy habanero peppers (deseeding makes for a medium-heat sauce as opposed to a high-heat sauce if the seeds remain).
Step Two: Let cool. Once done, let the pineapple and onion cool for 5 minutes before adding them to the blender or food processor.
Step Three: Blend it up! Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. About 1-2 minutes.
Step Four: Serve it up. Use it to top tacos, with chips, on a burrito bowl, or as a glazing sauce!
Is the sauce too spicy for your taste? Try adding a little honey and more pineapple to neutralize the spice!
Facts and Common Questions
This sauce lasts for 4-5 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. We like to store this pineapple habanero dip in mason jars, tupperware, or large bottles.
Nope! You can add everything raw to the blender or bake on a sheet pan at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
This excellent sauce is the perfect balance of sweet pineapple and fiery habaneros. Many things come to mind that would make the perfect pairing for this delicious finishing sauce for all you lovers of spicy food!
Some of the best things include tacos, tortilla chips, quesadillas, pita chips, pork chops, bagel, and cream cheese. Also, fish dishes such as cod fillets, salmon fillets, pan-seared salmon, and many more!
We also like putting the sauce on stuffed peppers. You can use green bell peppers, yellow bell peppers or red bell peppers.
Want to Save this For Later? Here's How!
This sauce is great to enjoy all week, although it's not the most freezer friendly.
Fridge: Simply store this sauce in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Enjoy as you would any other dressing or sauce.
Try these other joyful recipes!
Need some ideas for how to use this tasty sauce? Try these!
Did you try this and love it? Leave us a review, we would love to hear from you!
- ½ pineapple
- 1 habanero
- ¼ yellow onion
- 2 tablespoon garlic mined
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper
- You can either use an oven or grill for this recipe. If using an oven, preheat to 375. If using a grill, turn on to medium heat.
- Slice pineapple and onion and remove seeds from habanero
- Roast pineapple and onions on grill until grill marks appear and they have softened, approximately 5 minutes on each side. If using the oven, roast for 10 minutes, flipping over half way through.
- Let the pineapple and onions cool for 5 to 10 minutes
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth, approximately 1 minute. Caution! When blending hot or warm things, pressure may build up in the blender. Us a towel or rag to hold the top of the blender if food is still warm from the grill.
- Enjoy on tacos, in a bowl, chips, or much more!