This Cilantro Lime Rice is easy to make, ready in 25 minutes, and is the perfect addition to any meal! Made with bright cilantro and zesty lime, it's vegan, gluten free, and delicious!
Ingredients & Substitutions
All substitution options are a 1:1 substitution unless noted otherwise.
- Rice: Any type of rice can be used, except instant rice.
- Lime Juice: Lemon juice can be used but will result in a different flavor.
- Cilantro: Fresh parsley or dried cilantro can be used.
- Salt and Water
- Additions: For more yummy flavor, try adding minced garlic!
How to make a Cilantro Lime Rice
We love to use our Instant Pot for this recipe, but be sure to check out the recipe card for how to make this on the stove!
- Make the rice. Add the water, salt, and rice to the Instant Pot. Set the pressure to high and the timer to 4 minutes and let it go. It will take about 10 minutes for the pot to build up pressure.
- Prep the cilantro. Finely dice the cilantro.
- Mix it together. When the time is up, let the pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Then manually release the remaining pressure. Add the lime juice and chopped cilantro and fluff with a fork and mix.
Watch how to make this rice
Yup! To make it on the stove, simply make the rice as you normally would but then mix in the cilantro and lime juice at the end. Full instructions can also be found in the recipe card!
Yes, you can make cilantro lime rice with brown rice.
Rice will inevitably become hard as it's exposed to air. The trick is in reheating the rice. Add a splash of water to the dish when reheating the rice in the microwave. This creates steam and helps to rehydrate it.
Try these other delicious recipes!
Note: Joy to the Food gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup water *see notes if making on the stove top
- ¼ cup minced cilantro or ⅛ cup dried
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic optional
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil optional
Instant Pot Instructions
- Rinse rice in water until the water runs clear.
- Put rice, garlic (if using), and water into instant pot, lock the lid, and set the timer to 4 minutes on high pressure. It will take the pot about 10 minutes to build pressure.
- While the instant pot is working it’s magic, finely dice the cilantro.
- Once the time is up on the instant pot, let the pot naturally release for 10 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Add the lime juice, cilantro, and coconut oil if using and mix.
Stove Top Instructions
- Use double the water called for instant pot instructions (2 cups water), bring it to a boil.
- Add the rice and garlic and reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and let cook for 10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Add lime juice, cilantro, and coconut oil, if using, to the rice and mix. Enjoy!