This Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Recipe is a delicious, healthy dinner! Ready on the grill or in the oven, it can be prepped the day before, and prepped in minutes. It’s gluten free and macro friendly!
Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Recipe Ingredients
How to make Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- Preheat grill to medium heat (or preheat oven to 375 degrees if baking)
- Mix all filling ingredients in a medium bowl
- On a cutting board, slice open the chicken breasts with a sharp knife (slicing them from the side of the chicken breast is the best way, not the top of the chicken breast) and stuff breasts evenly with filling
- Wrap stuffed chicken breasts in individual pieces of foil. Place wrapped breasts on the heated grill (or in the oven on a sheet pan). Close the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken using a meat thermometer, the FDA recommends chicken be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees (source) Remove from the grill or oven, unwrap and enjoy!
Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Recipe Quick Facts
How long does this dish take? 35 minutes (including time to preheat oven)
How much does this make? 4 servings
Does this meet my dietary needs? This recipe has low net carbs. It is gluten free, macro friendly, and refined sugar free. It’s a great meal if you’re following the keto diet!
How many bowls should I plan for this meal? 1 bowl
How long does this keep? 3 days in the fridge. Keeping each chicken piece in the foil it was cooked in is a great way to store in the fridge. Different ways to store include in an airtight container, or plastic wrap.
Is it freezer friendly? Yes
Is this good for meal prep? This chicken breast recipe is a great dish for meal prep! Because it would be stored with the stuffing, the chicken breast will stay moist and only dry out a bit when reheating.
How do I reheat this? Enjoy cold or heat the chicken for 1 – 2 minutes in the microwave.
Can I pack this for lunch? Yup! Just keep it extra cold since it’s chicken.
Can I prep this in advance? You bet! This easy recipe can all be made as soon as the day before you want to cook it. Simply follow steps 1 through 4 and keep in a fridge or cooler in a ziplock bag (flat, so they don’t leak) until ready to cook or transport to where you want to grill them. These would be great for a tailgate or back yard cookout!
Do these have to be grilled? Nope! See recipe notes for cooking in the oven for a delicious meal inside.
Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Recipe Substitution Options
All substitution options are a 1:1 substitution unless noted otherwise
Chicken breast: Any cut of chicken that you can slice and fill can be used (chicken thighs, chicken fillets, etc.). Skinless chicken breasts can be used also.
Greek Yogurt: Cream cheese or sour cream can be used instead. Vegan sour cream could also be used or a Greek style plant based yogurt, you may need to decrease the quantity of yogurt because plant based ones typically have a higher moisture content.
Onions: Any type of onion can be used or 1 tsp of onion powder
Cheddar Cheese: Mozzarella cheese, Italian cheeses, Parmesan cheese, blue cheese, and goat cheese are both good substitutes, but you can use any cheese or cheese mixture you’d like. You could also use dairy free or plant based cheddar cheese.
Ranch Seasoning: Salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning can be substituted. If you don’t have store bought Ranch Seasoning you can make your own using this recipe! Fun tip, many generic Ranch Seasoning brands are dairy free!
Miller’s Mustard is made from banana peppers. This is different from traditional mustard, which is made from the seeds of mustard plants. This is what gives Miller’s Mustard its unique and delicious sweet and spicy flavor! (Source)
Try these other delicious low carb recipes!
Low Carb Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2/3 cup millers mustard
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tbsp ranch seasoning
- Preheat grill to medium heat or preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl.
- Slice open each chicken breast and stuff breasts evenly with filling.
- Wrap stuffed chicken breasts in individual pieces of foil. If using an oven, place wrapped chicken breasts on a sheet tray to capture any juices that may leak from the foil.
- Place wrapped breasts on heated grill or in the oven. Close lid and cook for 25 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken, the FDA recommends chicken be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees (source).
- Remove from grill, unwrap and enjoy!