This Spicy Korean Style Beef is packed with flavor. It’s sweet, salty, and spicy, and ready in under 30 minutes. This is the perfect weeknight meal that doubles as meal prep!
Spicy Korean Style Beef Ingredients
How to make Spicy Korean Style Beef
- Brown the beef! Drain the fat and return or keep beef in pan.
- Add garlic! Mix the garlic with the beef and continue to cook on low while preparing sauce.
- Mix all the goods up! Combine everything else in a bowl so the honey or sugar is well incorporated. The sugar or honey may not be totally mixed if cold but once it is added to the pan, the sweetener will dissolve more.
- Add mixture to hot pan. Whisk or stir to keep it from burning and to evenly coat the beef. Cook until reduced and thickened. If it is not reducing down, you can add a ¼ teaspoon of cornstarch or arrowroot powder to thicken.
- Enjoy with your favorite sides and toppings! Some of our favorites are rice, shredded carrots, Pieper Pickles, and sriracha mayo.
How long does this dish take? 30 minutes
How much does this make? 4 servings
Does this meet my dietary needs? This recipe is gluten free, and refined sugar free.
How many pans should I plan for this meal? 1 pan and 1 bowl
How long does this keep? 3-4 days in the fridge.
Is it freezer friendly? Yes! For up to 3 months in sealed container
How do I reheat this? Toss in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Store with rice and store toppings separately to not reheat the vegetables
Can I pack this for lunch? Yes! Best to keep in the work fridge and reheat. We prefer this meal to be hot and do not think it makes a suitable cold lunch.
Ground Beef: Chicken, turkey, or mushrooms can be used in place of beef
Coconut Aminos: Reduced sodium soy sauce can replace coconut aminos 1:1. If using regular soy sauce, use half soy sauce and half water and reduce the amount of salt added to the dish
Sriracha: ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes can replace the sriracha
Honey: Coconut sugar or brown sugar can replace the honey. Using brown sugar will result in a recipe with refined sugar, however.
Lime Juice: This is optional. We love the kick of citrus for a sweet and sour to finish the dish.
Fish Sauce: This can be omitted, but it adds such good flavor. If not using this or sriracha, add ¼ of a cup of beef stock or water to make up for less of liquid.
This Spicy Korean Style beef resembles the flavors of Korean barbeque. One of the most traditional forms of Korean barbeque is known as Bulgogi. Bulgogi is thickly sliced and marinated beef dating back to approximately 667 AD. (Source)
Try these other delicious recipes!
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon honey (or coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon Sriracha
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- Brown the beef. Once beef is done, drain fat and add garlic.
- While beef is browing, mix all other ingredients in a bowl, except garlic.
- Add garlic to cooked beef and continue to cook on low for 1-2 minutes
- Add the mixture of remaining ingredients to beef. Stir to combine. Simmer until sauce is reduced. Approximately 5-7 minutes. Enjoy with your favorite toppings. Some suggestions are…- Chives- Shredded Carrots- Pickled Cucumbers- Sriracha Mayo- Pineapple if you're feeling a little wild- Wine if you're feeling a little frisky!