This delicious Pizza Bowl recipe is a grain free meal that is simple to make, and perfect for meal prep. No pizza dough required! It is filled with creamy Italian cheese, spicy sausage, and nutritious cauliflower, or can be made with any of your favorite pizza toppings. It’s grain free, keto, and free of refined sugar!
Pizza Bowl Ingredients:
How to make a Pizza Bowl:
- Cook the sausage! Cook the Italian sausage on medium heat, in a large skillet or Dutch oven, half way through (about 5 minutes), then add the garlic and onion and continue to saute until sausage is cooked. About 10 minutes total.
- Add the spices and cauliflower. Add the frozen cauliflower, a pinch of salt and pepper, and Italian seasoning to the pan with the sausage and mix to combine. Cook until cauliflower is softened. About 5 minutes.
- Turn oven on to Low Broil. This is optional – the cheese can either be melted in the oven or in the microwave. The oven (or toaster oven) will result in a crispy top.
- Transfer sausage mixture to bowl. Use an oven safe bowl (like this one) or dish if broiling or a large Dutch oven or cast iron if you prefer a casserole style.
- Add the sauce. Pour pizza sauce or marinara over each bowl, evenly splitting the quantity between the bowls. Mix with the sausage mixture. Smooth our the top.
- Top with pepperoni and cheese. Place a layer of pepperoni slices on top of sausage mixture and then top with Italian cheese.
- Melt cheese. Place bowls or dish in the oven to broil for 5-10 minutes or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to melt cheese and get that cheesy goodness.
How long does this dish take? 30 minutes
How much does this make? 4 servings
Does this meet my dietary needs? This recipe is grain free and refined sugar free.
How many bowls should I plan for this meal? 1 large frying pan or skillet, and 4 bowls (for serving)
How long does this keep? 1 week in the fridge, 2 months in freezer
Is it freezer friendly? Yes
Is this meal prep friendly? Yes! This is a great meal prep option for all you pizza lovers. For meal prep – keep the sauce and cheese separate and store the rest of the mixture together in a Tupperware (like this one). When ready to eat, add sauce and cheese and pop in the microwave to reheat. Another option is to store all together and reheat an individual serving very hot in the morning. Place this serving in a thermos (like this one) to keep warm until ready to eat.
How do I reheat this? Heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Can I pack this for lunch? Yup! Just keep it cold.
Can I customize this? Yup! Use this easy pizza bowls recipe to step up your pizza night in a fun low carb way. The whole family will have so much fun making their own pizza bowls with their favorite toppings!
All substitution options are a 1:1 substitution unless noted otherwise.
Italian sausage: Any ground meat or sausage can be used, turkey, chicken, or pork. Try to use an Italian like seasoned sausage. Mushrooms can be used for a vegetarian version. If the sausage is unflavored or if using mushrooms, add additional Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. The sausage can also be omitted if in a pinch.
Garlic and Onion: 1 tsp of Garlic powder and 1 tbsp Onion powder could be used. White or red onion could be used in place of the yellow onion, also. If you don’t prefer onion you can also try a bell pepper such as red pepper or green peppers, fresh basil, black olives, or any additional toppings you prefer.
Cauliflower: Cooked rice can be subbed for cauliflower rice, it will not need to cook long, it will mainly just need to be mixed with the sausage mixture to evenly distribute the flavors. Quinoa can also be used to make these into quinoa pizza bowls.
Italian seasoning: You can make your own Italian seasoning with this recipe by Add a Pinch! If you do not have all the things to make Italian seasoning and cannot get to the store, just be sure to get oregano into the pizza bowl. That’s the main flavor. If only using oregano, use Italian sausage for added flavor.
Salt & Pepper: Sorry, no substitution for this.
Marinara: Any marinara can be used, we love Rao’s Marinara because of it’s minimal ingredients! Regular tomato sauce can be used or you can make your own marinara using this recipe by Minimalist Baker. Again, if using plain tomato sauce, use olive oil and Italian sausage for added flavor.
Pepperoni: Salami can be used in place of pepperoni
Italian Cheese Blend: A combo of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese can be used.
Pizza: Many countries claim to be the creators of pizza, and it’s true that many countries have a long history of eating foods that consist of bread with various toppings. However, the first dish to be called “pizza” was created by bakers in Naples, Italy in the 1600s. It was first eaten as street food by poor Neapolitans who ate for a quick meal on the go. Pizza was brought to the Americas in the 1800’s and by 2019 there were nearly 77,000 pizzerias in the United States alone. That’s a lot of pizza! (source)
Try these other delicious recipes!
Note: Joy to the Food gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
- 1-1/2 cup pepperoni
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1-1/2 cup Italian cheese blend
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1/3 of a yellow onion
- 12 oz riced cauliflower frozen
- Brown sausage in a deep pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- When sausage is half cooked (about 5 minutes), add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent and sausage is cooked, about 5 more minutes.
- Add Cauliflower, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to pot with the sausage and mix to combine. Cook until cauliflower is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven on to low broil.
- Transfer cooked ingredients to 4 oven safe bowls* and top with marinara evenly between the 4 bowls, mix well. Smooth the tops of the bowls. *Note: A cast iron or Dutch oven can also be used instead of bowls for a pizza casserole. You can also microwave the bowl to melt the cheese. If so, use microwave safe bowls instead of oven safe bowls.
- Add a layer of pepperoni and top with Italian cheese blend.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is golden and melted. You can also microwave for 1-2 minute to melt the cheese and heat the marinara.