This Vegan Copycat Caribou Pumpkin White Mocha is warm, comforting, and full of flavor. This coffee shop favorite is easy to make at home and ready in minutes. This coffee is gluten free, vegan, and made with only natural sugar!
How to make a Vegan Copycat Caribou Pumpkin White Mocha:
- Make coffee! Make a pot of hot coffee or cup of coffee as you would regularly (coffee pot, french press, pour over, however!)
- Mix! While the coffee is going, add the pumpkin, cacao butter, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and oat milk to an electric milk frother and heat/froth. You can also add everything to a heat safe jar and microwave for 1 minute. Once hot, either froth with a whisk or hand frother or cover with a lid and shake vigorously. CAUTION – If shaking by hand, hold the jar with a towel to prevent burning your hand should the liquid spill and for when you open the lid again. Heated liquids build pressure as you shake, so open carefully.
- Combine. Pour coffee into cups until it is 3/4ths full and top with oat milk mixture.
What is a Pumpkin White Mocha and what is Caribou? A pumpkin white mocha is like the cool cousin to the pumpkin spice latte or pumpkin latte. It’s warm and cozy with real pumpkin puree but with that classic pump tang of all the extra spices of pumpkin pie spice. Caribou Coffee is the Midwest version of Starbucks and every year they come out with their fall menu that includes this Pumpkin White Mocha. Unfortunately for me (since it’s one of my favorite drinks ), it is made with an espresso machine, vanilla extract, heavy cream, premium white chocolate, pumpkin syrup, and sugar syrup. Most of these items are not easily available or have way too much sugar for me. So, this homemade version gives you the fancy coffee drinks with simple ingredients and natural ingredients!
How long does this take? 5 minutes
How much does this make? 1 serving
Does this meet my dietary needs? This recipe is vegan, gluten free, and is made with only natural sugar
How many bowls should I plan for this meal? One coffee mug and one jar or electric frother
How long does this keep? This is best enjoyed hot. But, if enjoying later or as an iced coffee it will still taste delicious but will not be frothy after cooling
Is it freezer friendly? No
How do I reheat this? Just pop in the microwave for 1 minute to heat up again!
Is there a best oat milk to use? Often any barista blend oat milk will work for frothing, but our favorite is Sown. It is super thick and creamy!
*All substitution options are a 1:1 replacement unless noted otherwise
Pumpkin Puree: While there is no substitutions for this, it can be omitted if you do not have it on hand. If using pumpkin puree, ensure it is 100% pure pumpkin.
Oat Milk: Any non-dairy creamer could be used. We prefer oat milk barista blends due to its ability to froth and how creamy it is. Try Sown for great mocha! If using a sweetened creamer, omit adding the maple syrup to this drink. Soy milk, coconut milk, skim milk, whole milk (if not vegan), and unsweetened almond milk are some other options.
Maple syrup: Honey (not vegan), agave, or monk fruit syrup can be used.
Pumpkin Pie Spice: Cinnamon or apple pie spice can be used. You can also make your own pumpkin pie spice using a recipe like this one.
Cacao Butter: White chocolate chips or baking chips can be used. Find our favorite Cacao Butter here!
Coffee: Instant coffee or espresso (regular or decaf) can be used, just make as you normally would. You could also substitute this for plant based milk for a Pumpkin White Steamer.
Cacao Butter is the edible fat extracted from the cacao bean. Cacao Butter is the raw fat from the plant while Cocoa Powder is the roasted and ground chocolate powder that comes from the Cacao bean. Cacao Butter is a known superfood. It can strengthen the immune system and be used as lotion to avoid stretch marks and soften skin! When mixed with sugar, it heavily resembles the taste of white chocolate, hence why it’s perfect for this recipe! (Source)
Try these other delicious recipes!
Vegan Copycat Caribou Pumpkin White Mocha
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp oat milk unsweetened
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cacao butter
- 1-1/2 cup coffee
- Make a pot of hot coffee as you would regularly (coffee pot, french press, pour over, however!)
- While the coffee is going, add the pumpkin, cacao butter, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and oat milk to an electric frother and heat/froth. You can also add everything to a heat safe jar and microwave for 1 minute. Once hot, either froth with a whisk or hand frother or cover with a lid and shake vigorously. CAUTION - If shaking by hand, hold the jar with a towel to prevent burning your hand should the liquid spill and for when you open the lid again. Heated liquids build pressure as you shake, so open carefully.
- Pour coffee into cups until it is 3/4ths full and top with oat milk mixture.