These lemon garlic brussels sprouts are packed with flavor. Salty bacon, bright lemon, and spicy red pepper make them a crowd pleaser. They are Gluten free, dairy free, and can easily be made vegan by swapping out the bacon!
Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
Quick Look at Making Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts:
- Prep the Brussels sprouts! I prefer to buy them pre-shredded from Target or a local grocery store. If you cannot find them pre-shredded, cut them in half lengthwise or use a slicer (like this one) to slice/shred them.
- Cook the bacon! This can be done in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or on the stove top in the same pan as the brussels sprouts will be cooked in. If cooking on the stove top, you can cook the strips whole or slice them prior to cooking. Slicing them in small bits helps the bacon cook a little faster. Note: If not using bacon - forget I said step 2. Instead, heat the pan on medium heat with vegetable oil.
- Set aside bacon.
- Add garlic to the same pan. Saute until you think “wow, it smells really good in here”. Add red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. This stuff burns quick!
- Add the Brussels sprouts! Mix everything in the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the Brussels sprouts have softened, but still have a crunch. Usually 8-10 minutes.
- Add the bacon back in. If not using bacon, add in the almonds now. Continue to cook for another minute or so.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice and toss until all the Brussels sprouts are nice and evenly coated. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Want to use maple syrup? Great! Maple syrup with the bacon and Brussels sprouts is delicious. If using maple syrup, omit lemon juice and replace with half the amount of maple syrup. We recommend using pure maple syrup rather than butter syrup.
How long does this dish take? 30 minutes
How much does this make? 4-5 servings
Does this meet my dietary needs? This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and refined sugar free. AND, can easily be made vegan!
How many pans should I plan for this meal? One, we love this one!
How long does this keep? 3-4 days in the fridge
Is it freezer friendly? No
How do I reheat this? Toss in the oven or toaster oven at 250 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes until crispy (best option), eat cold, or microwave for 1 minute.
Can I pack this for lunch? Yes! This should be kept cold whether by fridge or with an ice pack. I love Yeti and Rtic ice packs - they keep these lemon garlic Brussels sprouts cold until lunch.
Brussels Sprouts: sorry, no substitute for this one.. Might I recommend some other delicious veggie dishes?
Bacon: ¼ c almonds can be substituted for bacon if vegan or vegetarian
Lemon Juice: ⅛ cup of maple syrup can replace the lemon juice. I have to state the obvious that if using maple syrup, these are no longer lemon garlic Brussels sprouts. They are still delicious, but also have a very different flavor profile.
Vegetable oil: This is only needed if you will not be cooking the bacon in the same pan as the Brussels sprouts. You can use coconut oil, butter (vegan or regular), or ghee instead of vegetable oil. Our favorite vegetable oil is avocado oil!
Red Pepper Flakes: Cayenne pepper or chili powder can be used to replace the red pepper flakes. Cayenne is much spicier though, so use sparingly. Red pepper flakes can be left out or reduced if you prefer to not have a spicy dish.
Maple Syrup: Honey can replace the maple syrup, if you are going the sweet route.
Almonds: Any type of nut could be used in place of almonds. If you have a nut allergy, they can be omitted and it will still be delicious!
Brussels sprouts deliver 137% of your recommended vitamin k! That’s a lot of vitamin k! They are also high in vitamin C and fiber. What more could you want? Vitamin k for bone health, vitamin C for immune support, and fiber for gut health! (source)
Note: Joy to the Food gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Try these other delicious recipes!
Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 pieces bacon**
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 cups brussels sprouts
- ¼ cups lemon juice***
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 garnish sliced almonds
- Shred brussels sprouts and prep bacon, heat oil over medium heat. The bacon can be cooked in the same pan and then removed and chopped. Remove most of the bacon grease, reserving some in the pan to sauté the Brussels sprouts in.
- Sauté garlic until translucent, add chili flakes, sauté another 30 sec
- Add in brussel sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 5-10 min until brussel sprouts soften. Add almonds in half way through if using.
- Toss in lemon juice and bacon and mix until well coated. Test for seasoning and adjust if needed. Remove from heat and toss in lemon juice.
Kelly White says
I made this dish with maple syrup - just a bit to add a little homey sweetness. It was really good. My son, who doesn't like Brussel sprouts even liked them. Will definitely make them again!
Dan Kinney says
Glad to hear these brussels sprouts made your son into a brussels believer!
-Dan & Mika