This Easy and Fresh Summer Fruit Salad is made with just six simple ingredients! It features juicy watermelon and blueberries, fun dragon fruit, and cozy cinnamon. It’s refined sugar free, gluten free, and vegan - the perfect treat for a hot summer day!
Easy and Fresh Summer Fruit Salad Ingredients:
How to make this Fresh Fruit Salad:
- Prep the fruit! Dice the watermelon in bite size cubes. Use a spoon or melon baller to remove and cut the dragon fruit. To slice a dragon fruit - cut the entire fruit lengthwise, use a knife to slice the fruit while still in the skin, then use a spoon to carefully spoon the fruit free from the skin (similar to cutting an avocado). Wash the blueberries.
- Strain. Strain the watermelon and dragon fruit to remove any excess liquid. Placing the fruit in a clear glass bowl makes it easier to see the excess effort with little effort.
- Combine. Add all ingredients to a large bowl and gently mix to coat. Enjoy this summer fruit salad recipe on your own or at backyard barbecues!
- Storing - to store this, keep in the fridge in an airtight container. A great way to keep water logged fruit fresh is to strain any excess liquid that develops every other day to keep the melon fresh.
How long does this dish take? 10 minutes
How much does this make? 6 servings
Does this meet my dietary needs? This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan refined sugar free.
How many bowls should I plan for this meal? 1 bowl, 1 cutting board
How long does this keep? 5 days in the fridge, possibly longer if strained regularly. It's always a good idea to strain water dense fruit to avoid early spoiling.
Is it freezer friendly? No
Is this meal prep friendly? Yes! We will make a batch on the weekend and then keep in individual storage containers to grab and go for the week.
Can I pack this for lunch? Yup! Just keep it cold.
Can I take this to a potluck? This is a great recipe to take to a backyard bbq or summer party. It's a healthy snack, a simple recipe, made with fresh ingredients, and great for a last minute dish. Some of the words used to describe it are:
Perfect Summer Side Dish
Easy Summer Fruit Salad
Perfect Summer Fruit Salad
Refreshing Fruit Salad
The Best Summer Fruit Salad
How do I pick a good watermelon? Good question! My preferred method is to knock on the melon with my fist to listen to a couple watermelons side by side. I am listening for a watermelon that has a deeper, hollow tone when tapped. Typically you want one with a high water content (more sweetness) for its size. For more ways to test for a good watermelon, check out our post - How to pick the best Watermelon - 5 Quick Tips
All substitution options are a 1:1 substitution unless noted otherwise.
Watermelon: Honey dew melon can be used, 1 whole melon.
Blueberries: Blackberries, fresh strawberries, or other similar favorite fruits can be used.
Dragon Fruit: Kiwi or canned or fresh pineapple can be used or dragon fruit can be left out.
Lime Juice: Lemon juice, lime zest, or any acidic juice can be used.
Cinnamon: Nutmeg can be used, but we love Origine Provisions Cinnamon.
Watermelon is known as nature's Gatorade. It’s hydrating (92% water to be exact), full of electrolytes, and provides a jump of energy with its little bit of sweetness. There are 1200 varieties and they can grow up to 350 pounds! Watermelons are both a fruit and a vegetable because while it has seeds to classify it as a fruit, it is part of the gourd family, classifying it as a vegetable. To make them more confusing, you can eat the whole watermelon, rind and all. Many cultures pickle the rind or use the rind in soups. This colorful fruit is the all round perfect fruit for a warm day, a cool day, or anytime. (Source)
Try these other delicious recipes!
Note: Joy to the Food gets commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Easy and Fresh Fruit Summer Salad
- ½ watermelon
- 1 dragon fruit
- 12 oz blueberries
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cut or ball dragon fruit and watermelon, wash blueberries
- Place in strainer to get any excess liquid out of the fruit
- Combine fruit, lime juice, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl and gently mix
- Store in a sealed container and drain excess liquid every couple days to keep fruit fresh
Leave a Reply