From waffles to gnocchi and pancakes to cakes, we are sharing 33 recipes that use leftover mashed sweet potatoes. So grab those Thanksgiving leftover sweet potato casseroles and let's get cooking!
Sweet potatoes are a classic dish served at Thanksgiving dinner as well as at home for a standard dinner. There are sweet potatoes with oat topping, ones with marshmallows, roasted sweet potato cubes, baked sweet potatoes, and sweet potato fries just to name a few. On our table, we always have mashed sweet potato casserole so I'm excited to share 31 ways to use up any leftover mashed sweet potatoes!
helpful tips when dealing with leftovers
Because we are using one dish to make another, there are a few considerations when dealing with leftover sweet potatoes.
- Sweetness: Most sweet potato dishes have added sweeteners like maple syrup or brown sugar. This is useful for some new dishes and not for others. So, you just need to be aware of how sweet the leftovers you're dealing with are.
- Flavorings: Just like they have added sweetness, classic sweet potato casserole can have a variety of add-ins, both savory and sweet. They almost always have melted butter, olive oil, or another type of fat in addition to spices.
- Toppings: The last thing to consider about leftover sweet potatoes is if it has toppings on it. This could be nuts, marshmallows, oats, or something else if it's a sweet potato casserole without nuts!
Below you'll find recipes for every occasion and for every diet. So, we hope you'll find something for everyone to enjoy!
11 ideas for breakfast
Breakfast is a great way to incorporate leftover sweet potatoes. Let me share some of my favorite recipes with you!
- Blender Sweet Potato Waffles
- 15 Minute Sweet Potato Porridge
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Chai Spiced Sweet Potato Pudding
- Sweet Potato Pie Oatmeal Muffins
- Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins
- Sourdough Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins
- 3-Ingredient Pumpkin Pancakes (can be made with pumpkin or sweet potatoes)
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Sweet Potato Banana Bread
14 ideas for a main meal & side dishes
A new side dish or main meal is another delicious way to reinvent an existing sweet potato dish. Below is a list of our favorite leftover sweet potato recipes for side dishes and main meals.
- Instant Potato Pancakes (using leftover mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes)
- Sweet Potato Fish Cakes
- Sweet Potato and Turkey Empanadas
- Purple Sweet Potato Sourdough Sandwich Loaf
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- Soft Sourdough Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls
- Bison Shepherd's Pie with sweet potatoes
- Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Quick Bread
- Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Sweet Potato Pasta Sauce
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Sweet Potato Puffs
- Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
8 dessert recipes using sweet potatoes
Dessert is a nice option for repurposing leftovers when you have leftovers with a lot of sugar or maple syrup already added (except for the dog treats).
Photo below from the talented Broke Oven Baking
- Sweet Potato Dump Cake
- Southern Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pudding
- Sweet Potato Frosting
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Pie Cookies
- Sweet Potato S'mores Bars
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Toasted Meringue Frosting
- Homemade Dog Treats with Sweet Potato (dogs need dessert too! Just be sure to not use sweet potatoes that have any added sugar to them)